Thursday, October 13, 2011

Raw Wilted Kale Salad with a Creamy Chipotle Dressing




Over the last 6 months or so, I’ve really been trying to incorporate more raw foods into my diet.  In my quest to find satisfying, delicious, and easy to prepare raw recipes I came across Russell James’, otherwise known as The Raw Chef, website and became a fast fan.  He offers great tutorial videos and tons of raw recipes that are easy for a raw novice to follow.  You can find the original recipe here.

This kale salad is one of my favorites, or more accurately IS my favorite.  I’ve made it several times, and love it more each time I make it.  I love love love kale, but I think this would be a great recipe for those who don’t love it but are looking for ways to get this nutrition power-house into their diet (and raw kale as an added bonus!).  It really is best to eat it the same day you make it, but I’ve had no problems eating day-old leftovers (especially tucked inside a wrap).  I’ve added my substitutions/additions in italics, but the original is of course wonderful as is.  As an added bonus, this recipe is super quick and easy to make. 

So give this recipe a try and get some kale in ya – you know you want to.  I promise you won’t be disappointed.

Wilted Kale Salad with a Creamy Chipotle Dressing
Serves 2-4
For the wilted kale:
2 heads kale (this will seem like a lot, but will wilt down considerably when the salt is added)
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 cup baby tomatoes, sliced
*1 cup black olives, sliced
1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds

For the dressing:
2 avocados
*I typically use 1 cup of tahini in place of the avocados
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (see note for a truly raw substation)
*I use 2 chipotle peppers because I like extra spiciness!
1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon agave
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
Adobo sauce/filtered water as needed to blend

Note:  If not using chipotle peppers, substitute with 1/2 teaspoon each of onion powder, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and tamari/nama shoyu.

Remove the stems and then wash and cut the kale into small pieces.  Place into a bowl, add salt, and start to massage the kale until it wilts and takes on a “cooked” texture.  Add the tomatoes and hemp seeds (and olives, if using) to the bowl and mix in by hand.  Blend all remaining ingredients in a high-speed blender until creamy and mix into kale by hand.  Serve immediately.




1 comment:

  1. I love Russell's recipes and made a few of them when I was Raw too.

    I haven't tried this salad but it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete