Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Cream Cheeze Frosting and Carrot Cake Work in Progress


I was running some errands last Saturday and stopped by Loving Hut for a snack while out and about.  It must have been my lucky day because the owner was kind enough to give me a complimentary piece of carrot cake to go with my order – uh, hellz yah!  The problem was that as soon as I had devoured said carrot cake (hey, I did share with my hubby), I just wanted more carrot cake…generously covered in cream cheeze frosting. 



So, naturally I felt that I had no other choice but to devote Sunday to procuring the ingredients needed, shredding carrots, baking cake, making frosting, and decorating my very own cake.  Although the cake itself was pretty yummy (I added raisins, chopped walnuts, shredded coconut, and crushed pineapple), the recipe needs a little tweaking.  It was a little too moist and a bit challenging to work with.  I also think the sugar needs some adjusting.  The recipe make enough cake for a 3-layer 9inch cake.  I opted to do a 2-layer cake and make cupcakes with the left over batter.  Next time I make the cake, I think I’ll have a good recipe down that I can share.



That said, the cream cheeze frosting turned out wonderfully:  a little tangy, cheezy, and of course a tasty way to satisfy a sweet tooth.  It’s super easy to make and is perfect for cake, cookies, brownies, cinnamon rolls…really any baked good that’s screaming for a generous slathering of cream cheeze frosting.  Enjoy!



Cream Cheeze Frosting
8 oz container non-dairy cream cheeze, cold (Tofutti is a great brand that also makes a hydrogenated oil-free version)
2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine, such as Earth Balance at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted

Using a hand-held or stand mixer, cream together the cream cheeze and margarine.  Add the vanilla extract and lemon juice and mix to incorporate.  Sift in the powdered sugar in 2 to 3 batches, mixing well between each addition.  Refrigerate the frosting for 1 hour before using. 

1 comment:

  1. Your carrot cake and cupcakes look pretty, I love the decoration you did!

    I made carrot cake on Sunday too, I used the VWAV recipe but made it gluten free, yummo!

    ReplyDelete