Monday, November 8, 2010

Party Food Part 6: Cakes!

Cakes:


The cake turned out to be the biggest hit of the party, and I must confess cakes are always my favorite item to make.  I’m definitely a decorating novice, but it’s so much fun I relish any opportunity to practice.  All recipes are either directly from or variations of recipes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World (the BEST cookbook for all things cupcakes and cake).  I made a two layer 9 inch cake.  The bottom layer was a banana-flavored white cake.  I made 1 1/2 batches of the golden vanilla cupcake recipe but subbed banana extract for about half of the vanilla extract.  The top layer was 1 1/2 batches of the basic chocolate cupcake recipe.  The filling was chocolate-banana mousse.  I used the chocolate mousse topping recipe with the banana variation.  Then I covered the whole cake in the fluffy buttercream frosting.  I used marzipan to make the dots.




Inside shot

I also made a single batch of each cupcake recipe into some extra banana-chocolate marbled cupcakes and banana-chocolate smash cake for the birthday boy.  I used a large muffin tin to make the smash cake which needed to be trimmed a bit before frosting, but seemed to work pretty well. 

Banana-Chocolate marbled cupcakes
Birthday boy's personal mini cake
Digging in.  So darn cute.

A fist full of cake

2 comments:

  1. Those cakes all look amazing - you certainly don't look like a decorating novice to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say on PPK what a great guest of honor you had, and he CERTAINLY looks happy with his vegan masterpiece. Hats off to you.

    ReplyDelete